Sunday 20 January 2013

How To Get Started On The Primal Blueprint Diet

To be honest, looking over the various different requirements, mirco-nutrients balancing ,etc. involved in the Primal diet can be a bit overwhelming. I know I said I would put my money where my mouth was and try it, but help!

However, Mark has put together an e-book of questions he asked his faithful followers to answer. One of the questions was basically where should a beginner start?

Most emphasised that you should start slow, as it is a lifestyle change, not a 'diet' as such, which is generally good advice. Some recommended throwing out everything in your pantry that didn't fit with the program (or giving it to charity), while others just suggested only buying primal from now on and slowly get rid of the rest. I'm thinking I'll go the slower approach. If I'm going to crack, it is most likely going to be while I'm at work or coming home passing the supermarket anyway.

The three practical steps that kept coming up again and again were:

1. Cut out sugar.
2. Get rid of grains.
3. Start doing more exercise.

Looking at those three things, and taking it slow, I think I might be able to do this, for a little while at least.

I also have some added incentive now. I've got two weeks of annual leave starting next week, and am arranging to spend the second week at The Golden Door in New South Wales at their 7 day health retreat!

(Okay, have always wanted to go there, and it is super expensive, but I'm really, really looking forward to it. You will be getting full details on all the different exercise classes and wellness programs I do, don't worry.)

As my best friend pointed out, if I'm going to be spending all this money and doing this for a week, I might as well spend these next two weeks getting ready for it so I can really see even greater changes and enjoy it more.

The biggest problem is that you can't have any caffeine while you are there. Now, I don't drink that much coffee or coke, but I do go through about 6 - 7 cups of jasmine green tea a day. While not bad for you, it does have a lot of caffeine. Just to check, I didn't have any today and have developed quite a headache by late afternoon to the point where I had just one cup to try and nullify it a bit.

So, will need to detox from caffeine before going as well. Therefore, don't think I can do everything.

I can see the dangers in sugar, and know that it is meant to be as addictive as crack. Grains I'm not so convinced that they are trying to poison me. Exercise, however, is always good to do.

So I'm going to try to sugar detox this week, up my exercise and get off the caffeine next week. I'll try to reduce the carbs I have and focus on increasing my protein and veggies, but I'm not going to cut them out altogether.

Sound pretty fair?

(Or course, all I can think of now is almond croissants, but still...)

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment